Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Airplane

This is just a small excerpt from a bigger piece I'm writing. I'm not sure where to go with it and that's why the story just ends. Give me any suggestions if you have them. Thanks!







“Peanuts or a drink ma’am?” The flight attendant chirped. I looked at her with dead eyes. Her dark brown hair was tied up in a tight bun. Her eyebrows were plucked perfectly. Her cheeks were slightly pink, her lips were a deep shade of red, and her eyes had a light line of dark eyeliner that helped enhance her green eyes. When she smiled she revealed a line of perfectly straight pearly whites. She was gorgeous. I despised her.
“Could I have a rum and coke please?” I asked flatly.
“I’m sorry ma’am but we don’t serve alcohol until noon.”
“Yah, so?”
“Well you see ma’am, it’s 6 a.m. I’m not allowed to serve alcohol until 12.” I could feel her eyes on my face as she judged me. My blonde hair was a cross between shiny and dull with straight cut bangs that hid my forehead. My hair normally hung a little bit off of my shoulders when it’s down but for the flight I decided to throw it up into a loose ponytail. My skin is typically flawless except for those few blemishes that would appear now and again. I don’t usually wear makeup but I have taken a liking to using a small amount of eyeliner and mascara to highlight my grayish blue eyes. The attendant lowered her gaze for a split second to analyze my wardrobe choice. I was wearing a pair of loose fitting light blue jeans, a dark gray t-shirt, and green chucks. This was my typical outfit when I’m not working. I like to call it comfy and simple. My sister likes to call it lazy and boring. From the look of the attendant I could tell she sided with my sister.
“I’ll just have an orange juice then.” I said with annoyance.
“Of course ma’am” She reached into that huge silver cart that everyone’s elbows and knees just loves to get hit by and pulled out a small bottle of orange juice and a plastic cup. She expertly poured the orange juice into the cup and placed the bottle back into her cart.
“Could you just leave the entire bottle? I’m really thirsty.” I asked with a fake smile plastered on my face.
“I’m sorry but I have to save the rest for the other passengers.” She said with a slight smirk on her face. I stared at her for a second before responding.
“Are you serious? It’s a tiny little bottle. You barely even have enough for a second cup.” “I’m sorry, ma’am. We’ll be going around again in a few hours so if your still thirsty we will be more than happy to get you another drink.” She smiled and then looked past me at the short and plump man sitting beside me.
“Peanuts or a drink, sir?” The attendant once again chirped.
“Peanuts and a cranberry juice for me please.” The man said with booming voice. The attendant jumped. For such a short man you did not expect such a loud and booming voice.
“Oh. Of course, sir.” She pulled out the tiny bottle of cranberry juice and a cup, filled the cup to the brim, and handed it to him.
“Also I would like a unopened bottle of cranberry juice and another unopened bottle of orange juice.” The man said once again making the attendant jump.
“I’m sorry sir but…”
“I don’t want to hear you yap anymore. I’m thirsty so give me my god damn drinks!” The man looked up at the attendant with rage behind his eyes. The attendant nodded her head and placed two unopened bottle of juice onto his fold out tray. She pulled the cart further down the aisle as quickly as she could, regained her composure and then chirped the same question to the couple sitting behind me.
“Here ya go, dear.” The plump man with the booming voice said as he handed me the orange juice.
“Thanks.” I placed the bottle onto my fold out tray and then picked up the cup of orange juice. I greedily take a huge gulp from the plastic cup and set it back down.
“Gee. You weren’t kidding. You are thirsty.” The man said as he sipped on his cranberry juice. I reached under my chair and picked up my backpack. I unzipped the tiny pocket on the front and revealed a few tiny bottles.
“Nah. I just needed some room in my cup to add some of this.” I picked up one of the bottles, unscrewed the cap, and eagerly poured the clear liquid into my cup. I threw the empty bottle into a brown paper bag that I had in my backpack. I dipped my pinky into the new concoction and gave it a quick swirl. I lifted the cup to my mouth and took a few swigs. Immediately after I swallowed the alcoholic brew I gave out a relaxed sigh, closed my eyes, and leaned back into my seat. I could feel the man staring at me. I peeked at him and I saw the envy on his face. I reached into my backpack once again and took out a couple of my vodka nips and placed them on his fold out tray.
“Here you go.”
He looked at me with joy. He quickly discarded his half empty cup to the side, opened the new bottle of cranberry juice and poured some of it into the cup, then opened both nips and poured them both into his bottle. He toped his bottle off with some of the juice that was left in his cup and sealed the bottle with the lid. He gave a few quick shakes of his bottle before opening it again and taking a good long drink. He did this all so quickly I felt slightly offended. It was as if he thought I would change my mind and take the bottles back. He swallowed his fill and the beverage trickled down his chin. I stared at it in disgust. I hated when people were unnecessarily dirty.
“Thanks for that.” The man said as he leaned back in his chair with complete joy in his eyes.
“Thanks for getting me an extra drink.” I said as I rubbed my chin over and over again in hopes that he would get the hint. 

No comments:

Post a Comment